We are looking for community organizers, technologists, educators, artists, and everyone in between. People who are not only imagining a better web, but are building it — for and alongside marginalized populations. Decentralized technologies have the potential to create a better web for everyone — one that upholds people’s security, privacy, and self-determination.
But there are some communities that would have the most to gain from these new tools and platforms. The current web has been failing all of us, but it has failed some more than others.
Our DWeb Fellows program invites outstanding individuals who are creating or employing technologies in ways that uplift communities facing systemic inequality and help bring about justice and social equity through network technologies.
Fellows will be expected to:
- Attend an online orientation before the event
- Share their knowledge, skills, or experience with other DWeb Campers (by giving a talk and/or leading a workshop or discussion)
- Write or give a presentation of their reflections following the event at a DWeb meetup
Those who are awarded the fellowship will receive a stipend of up to $2200 to cover costs of meals and travel, in addition to free registration worth $1000 and accomodations at Camp Navarro.
How To Apply?
We seek individuals who:
- Are rooted in projects and communities that use decentralized technologies or technologies as public goods.
- Work directly with and for under-resourced communities — such as populations that have no internet, for whom internet access is too expensive to afford, or for whom access is censored, surveilled, or otherwise compromised.
- Believe in the potential of decentralized web technologies to expand information access, as well as connect and strengthen communities.
- Are committed to integrating environmental justice in their work.
- Are committed to creating and upholding communities of care in the DWeb ecosystem.
- Are excited to share their experience and ideas about how a better, more resilient web can be built.
- Are willing to organize an activity or facilitate a workshop at the Camp.
Fill out this FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION to apply.
DEADLINE: Sun May 22,
May 15 2022, end of day wherever you are.