The European Union Delegation to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS is looking for a Project Officer. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Project Officer. Deadline: 30 April 2022
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of the EU embassy development programme.
The EU Delegation to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and ECOWAS works closely with the national, regional and local authorities as well as other foreign missions. The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access to sustainable electricity. Additional crosscutting activities include the fight against corruption, drugs and organised crime, support to the reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role of democratic processes and supporting a greater role for civil society.
We offer a post of Project Officer. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Project Officer. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function, the successful candidate will in particular contribute to the conception, elaboration and implementation of development co-operation strategies, programmes and projects in the area of climate-smart agriculture to address food insecurity, increase agricultural exports, and job creation/entrepreneurship, digital transformation of the sector and agri-businesses along green value chains, under the supervision of the relevant Team Leader.
The candidate, Local Agent LA1 will work full time (37.5 hours weekly) in a multicultural and multinational environment at the premises of the EU Delegation in Abuja, Nigeria. We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as a pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions. The gross basic salary will be raised in accordance with the current salary scale, depending on years of relevant professional experience, starting from NGN 1,440,847.
How To Apply
Submit your application to DELEGATION-NIGERIA-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu
Applications should consist of a letter explaining your interest and suitability for this position and Curriculum Vitae (each 2 pages maximum). These documents should be sent by email to the attention of Head of Administration, on above stated email address. Application should clearly state the title of the post “Project Officer – Green and Digital Economy. Job No. e-Del-HRM No 116852 and Sysper 2 No 387835 –DEVCO”
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by the Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a shortlist of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for this post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting document. The shortlisted candidates will be invited to an assessment phase, which is a written test, followed by interviews. During this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been shortlisted will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will inform the remaining candidates by email, once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to DELEGATION-NIGERIA-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu
Applications received after the deadline stated below or not conform to these instructions will be automatically rejected.
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under the Nigerian labour law
- Excellent knowledge of English, fluency in spoken and written (C2 Level)
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Agriculture, Climate/Environment or Development Studies, or other relevant science qualifications.
- At least 5 years continuous relevant experience in project/programmes management, and knowledge of project monitoring methods and techniques, including logical framework
- Full computer literacy, covering all relevant MS Office applications.
- We expect a candidate with deep understanding and experience in food insecurity, increase agricultural exports, job creation/entrepreneurship and all phases of the project management cycle. High level of personal integrity, ability to work under strict deadlines and cope with significant workload such as;
I. Policy/Sector Analysis:
- Analyse developments in the agriculture sector and contribute to the preparation of sector reports for the Delegation and EU HQ.
- Support policy dialogue with relevant ministries, agencies, development partners and other relevant stakeholders in the agriculture sector.
- Contribute to other related analyses and dialogues, in particular on circular economy, climate and environment, digitalisation, employment and entrepreneurship.
II. Management of EU Projects:
- Liaise with EU HQ for the dissemination and implementation in Nigeria of global EU initiatives, especially in support of the areas pertinent to the portfolio managed.
- Contribute to programming and reviews of the country programme including identification, formulation and monitoring of programmes/projects in co-ordination with relevant Nigerian authorities, ensuring that EU regulations and procedures are followed.
- Manage implementation of some EU Delegation’s projects and programmes, and stakeholder engagement towards achieving Nigeria’s development goals.
- Contribute to reporting requirements: External Assistance Management Report (EAMR); Progress report; project, sector and ad-hoc reports.
- Contribute to the visibility of EU development cooperation activities.
- In the performance of the above-mentioned duties, the Cooperation Officer will work closely together with other staff in the Cooperation Unit and within the EU Delegation, particularly with the Finance and Contracts Section.
For more information, visit the official website