UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the direct supervision of the Honorable Minister for Environment, with reporting lines to the Deputy Resident representative (DRR-P), sitting within the Ministry of the Environment and UNDP Nigeria communication teams, the successful candidate will lead the planning and implementation of strategic communication, advocacy and media strategies to support effective policy making, public participation and project implementation geared towards environmental sustainability within Nigeria.The Communications Specialist will be responsible for increasing awareness, engagement and knowledge on environmental focused initiatives, priorities and programmes, through:
· Communication strategy development, planning and implementation
- Stakeholder management, networking and partnership building
- Media relations, public outreach and advocacy
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Specific Functions/Results expected:
1. Communication strategy development, planning and implementation:
- Takes the lead in the development, planning and implementation of large, complex communication strategies that promotes and raises awareness of Ministry of Environment and UNDP Nigeria environmental priorities, programmes and key messages
- Design and implement activities included in communication strategies, using a range of innovative tactics such as the production of communication and media assets, writing briefs and human-interest pieces, developing advocacy narratives, delivering creative social media and digital campaigns, and organizing public outreach events.
- Work closely with programme staff and senior management to ensure clear, coherent and consistent communication and advocacy about the strategic focus and activities of the Ministry of Environment and UNDP Nigeria environment programmes, priorities and initiatives
- Stakeholder management, networking and partnership building
- Draft and lead partnership engagement strategies, aligned with the Ministry of Environment and UNDP Nigeria priorities, to enhance environmental advocacy in Nigeria
- Undertake stakeholder mapping exercise to identify potential new partners and develop an environmental communications network with key stakeholders to further push advocacy agenda
- Design communication and advocacy initiatives as well as coordination mechanisms that strengthen outreach and increase awareness of key environmental initiatives, policies and programmes to relevant stakeholders and partners
- Maintain and strengthen existing partnerships by organizing and facilitating regular communication channels and providing accurate information and updates in a timely manner.
3. Media and public information
- Leads, develops and supports communication initiatives that positions the Ministry of the Environment and UNDP and its key environmental programmes, priorities and policies in the media
- Develop and manage media outreach plans for key environmental initiatives, priorities and programmes as well as take the lead on media relations: responding to media requests including the preparation of media materials such as talking points, op-eds, press releases etc.
- Regularly pitch and engage with media to ensure consistent coverage of environmental sustainability priorities, policies and programmes in Nigeria
- Identify and coordinate opportunities to highlight the Ministry of Environment and UNDP Nigeria environmental work in the media
- Develop relationships and establish a network of environmental focused journalists/media houses and develop active communication channels to keep the media informed about key environmental priorities, policies and programmes in Nigeria
- Act as media spokesperson when needed
4. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to Ministry of Environment and UNDP Nigeria environmental programme goals and activities
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories
- Develop and provision trainings for Ministry of Environment and UNDP staff on communications for environmental programmes, priorities, and policies
- Arrange for the design and web posting (Department of Climate Change) of all the NDC Support Programme deliverables
- Organize an event to showcase the results achieved by the NDC Support Programme
The Communications Specialist will report to the Minister for Environment and will require to also have a matrix reporting to the UNDP Deputy Resident Representative for Programmes while working in cooperation with both UNDP Nigeria and the Ministry of Environment team members.
Key Performance Indicators
Deliverables and payment milestones:
Payment Milestone 1: 20% payment on submission of:
- Communication plan/Roadmap and Training for HME office/Ministry of Environment;
- At least 3 major environmental/climate change campaigns working with CSOs;
- A Communication roadmap for COP 27 for high visibility Nigeria environmental/climate change programmes
Milestone 2: 30% payment on submission of:
- Contextualized key messages around all major environmental/climate change global celebrations/days.
- 6 Op-ed for the Honourable Minister in national and international media
- A well developed and executed communication training proposal for the Minister’s core team and Directors
Milestone 3: 30% payment on submission of a report detailing:
- consistent visibility on social media trend/visibility
- measures taken to ensure Ministries website overhauling and functionality
- Production Documentaries/Docuseries
- Coordination of national media team and framework for engagement with local / media outlets
- Syndication of High profile interviews/features
Milestone 4: 20% payment on submission of a report detailing:
- Development and production of Knowledge products
- Design Women outreach/Youth outreach/private sector tailored programmes
- Drive implementation of NDC Communication Plan/strategy and visibility of Climate Promise Phase 2 in Nigeria
- Liaison with Communications focal persons of relevant Donor partners
How To Apply
Visit the UNDP Job call page