Action for Sustainable Development (A4SD) is a joint civil society platform, which provides a space for sharing information on the sustainable development agenda across issues and across countries. It acts as a space to share resources and strategies for advocacy, policy, programmes and mobilisation and to facilitate collabora>on amongst civil society actors. Secondly, it aims to redress the imbalance in capacity within civil society itself, especially between well-resourced CSOs and the rest. Thirdly, it provides interactive ways for civil society to organise and mobilise around this agenda.
The main Purpose of the job is to facilitate the development of the strategy and work plan of A4SD, ensure the implementation of the work plan approved by the governance and Working Groups, support in fundraising, facilitate the flow of information within the network and support participating organisations and governance bodies in the eﬀective implementation/coordination of the platform’s development and activities.
Join Diplomacy Opportunities Facebook group here and follow @DiplomacyOpp on Twitter
The Global Coordinator will lead the Coordination Team, which will include at a later stage, two other team members and will work in coordination with the seven regional coordinators involved in A4SD. The Coordinator, under the responsibility of A4SD’s governance body, the Facilitation Group (FG), ensures the proper execution of the A4SD Coordination team’s tasks and implements policies and decisions taken by the Facilitation Group.
The Global Coordinator will facilitate the platform at global levels, and will play a steering role in building and maintaining its momentum.
Responsibilities of the job:
Technical and operational responsibilities:
- Strategy development, annual planning, project development
- Facilitate delivery on the strategy and ensure follow-up on decisions made by the FG and A4SD’s members’ Assembly (Forum)
- Prepare meetings and work closely with the FG to deliver the overall strategy.
- Manage the future A4SD Coordination Team and animation of the A4SD network in collaboration with team members and FG
- Propose and carry A4SD’s annual opera>onal planning (objectives, activities and budget) based on the strategic guidelines approved by the FG.
- Implement A4SD’s activities in all their administrative, organizational, management, communication, informa>on dissemination and mobilization of members issues;
- Recruit staﬀ of the global Coordination Team
- Facilitate internal communications: organise calls, maintain platform email lists, shared calendars and other possible tools; keep records of mee>ngs and minutes; centralise and disseminate info; share creative/innovative ideas.
- Advise and support Working Groups in the development and implementa>on of strategies
- Disseminate materials and learning outcomes in several languages to all participating organisations at all levels – national, regional, global – where relevant
- Contribute to the animation of the site action4sd.org
- Be the primary point of contact (e.g. through online presence) and direct requests to relevant groups (e.g. Working Groups).
- Write and follow up on agreements with A4SD’s partners or members.
- Ensure the operational and financial monitoring (expenses related to the Coordination Team’s functions, partnership agreements…) alongside the support from administrative & finances team.
- Develop a fundraising strategy and lead in the drawing of funding proposals.
- Write the narrative and financial reports for internal and external purposes
- Act as the day-to-day representative of the platform and provide informa>on for use by the Facilitation Group and Working Groups.
- Represent A4SD to public and private partners.
- Other relevant activities
Experience and qualification:
- University degree or similar qualification, preferably in social-economic development, humanitarian action, international politics or in any other relevant sector;
- Minimum three years experience of working in global civil society organisa>ons and networks preferably on Sustainable Development, with a focus on project management or network facilitation/animation
- Very good knowledge of interna>onal issues and civil society working on international cooperation
- Experience in managing and leading a team
Abilities and skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work eﬀec>vely with people across cultures and levels of seniority
- Ability to lead eﬀectively in a global and mul>cultural team
- Ability to work autonomously and with very minimal supervision
- Proactivity, flexibility, ability to plan and implement own work and decide when to consult or seek advice
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English, and good communica>on in French and Spanish
- Understanding of, and commitment to, equal opportunities
Conditions of Employment:
Full time Position
Location: flexible, international travelling
Salary to be negotiated
Please send a cover letter and CV, including a salary request, preferred location and possible starting date, in English to email@example.com. Please include the reference “A4SD – Global Coordinator” in the subject of your e-mail, cover letter and CV.
Please note that applications received after closing date will not be considered.
Closing date of the call: 31 December 2017
Interview dates: January 2018
Expected starting date: February 2018