After a successful First Edition in 2016/2017, the United Nations Association in Canada (UNA-Canada) and the British Council Canada are proud to launch the Second Edition of Active Citizens Social Enterprise (ACSE) in communities across the country.
ACSE is a social leadership programme designed to help young people develop the soft skills required to better understand and address the needs of their communities through social enterprise. Interactive and participatory, ACSE training encourages participants to take responsibility for their communites’ needs and gives them the knowledge, skills and experience to address them.
Join Diplomacy Opportunities Facebook group here and follow @DiplomacyOpp on Twitter
This year’s programme will take place in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax. Together with 20-30 young people from across their region, participants will attend a three-day, intensive training session during which they explore the topics of identity, intercultural dialogue and community-conscious social entrepreneurship as a means of addressing the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the local level.
Of the 150 youth who receive ACSE training, 15 will be selected to pitch their ideas at the Youth Innovation Summit in Ottawa on February 28, 2018. At the summit, selected participants will have the opportunity to showcase their work and exchange with peers, members of the start-up and social enterprise community as well as high level representatives from the Canadian Government and the United Nations.
Whether you’re a seasoned social entrepreneur or a newcomer to the field in search of new tools to address a social or environmental issue, we welcome your application!
Click here to apply
Training Dates and Application Deadlines:
Vancouver, October 20-22 – Apply by October 4
Calgary, October 27-29 – Apply by October 9
Montreal, November 3-5 – Apply by October 9
Toronto, November 3-5 – Apply by October 9
Halifax, November 17-19 – Apply by October 29
Ottawa, December 1-3 – Apply by October 29
– You may only apply to ONE city. Please submit your application by midnight (EST) on the deadline corresponding to your city of choice
– Late submissions may be kept on a waiting list for last-minute consideration
– Training will take place over three 8-hour days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Full attendance is required, so please only apply if you are available for the full duration of the training
– Breakfast and Lunch will be offered at the training
– Unfortunately, no travel subsidies will be provided
– Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 35 (inclusive) at the time of the training